Translate

04 October 2011

Bike-commute day 88—to home

Tuesday, 04 October 2011

My HRave reading for this evening's ride is much lower than it should be. The pickup wasn't functioning well through the first two miles of the ride, since I wasn't sweating enough to conduct signals. So for that time, the monitor was reading HRs like 49 and 52, despite a normal effort;

I saw only one regular on the bikeway: Rick the walker, who I saw in the stretch between the west gate to Eastwood Park and the plateau east of Findlay Avenue.

After I rose to the Monument Avenue bridge, I took the way very slowly. The past few times I had crossed the bridge, I had had to avoid some glass smashed across the sidewalk, and I wanted to clear as much of the debris as possible from the way. By the point of reaching the midpoint, I began to think that someone else had cleaned up the debris. But much closer to the traffic signal than I remembered, the glass was still there. I dismounted, set the bike aside, and began pitching the larger shards over the balustrade. When small slivers were left, I used my shoes to kick and nudge the pieces into the roadway. But I left the job unfinished, and I've remembered to stuff a whisk broom into my pack for finishing the work tomorrow morning.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 72 to 78°F at 18:00
Precipitation: none
Winds: 5 mph variable
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:41:56 for 11.95 miles
Heart rate: 122 bpm HRave, 151 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 24 cyclists, 18 pedestrians, 3 dogs
Playback of the ride

No comments: