Translate

14 October 2011

Bike-commute day 94—to work

Friday, 14 October 2011

Somewhere before the Findlay Avenue bridge, I saw Gary and Amy on their tandem, going my way. I slowed and said hello as I neared them and continued at their pace. They live near DeWeese Park, and every day they ride the bikeway, alternating to a turnaround at Woodman Avenue on the Iron Horse Trail or at Grange Hall Road on the Creekside Trail.

Though their pace is about 15 mph, it isn't quite leisurely. I heard Gary say, "Come on, give me some more pedal" to Amy. A couple times I noticed that Gary was exerting more effort, bringing Amy's cadence up a bit higher than it had been. Still, throughout the five miles we rode together, we had plenty of breath for conversation.

After we parted ways at the old railroad trestle, I saw Millie and Gladys walking south from the Linden Avenue crossing. I slowed only long enough to tell Millie that I had seen her walking yesterday, from my car as I crossed the overpass on highway 35.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 50 to 52°F at 07:45
Precipitation: none
Winds: 5 to 10 mph from the southwest
Clothing: Skinsuit, longsleeve undershirt, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:47:55 for 11.95 miles
Heart rate: 115 bpm HRave, 146 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 4 cyclists, 3 pedestrians, 1 dog
Playback of the ride

No comments: