Translate

25 May 2011

Bike-commute day 30—to home with a thunderstorm

This was a time trial day, made necessary by an impending thunderstorm. Even as I started out, I knew it would be a high intensity ride to beat the storm home, if possible.

My times were very good for the first and second checkpoints. Then I felt the first drops of rain just past the Findlay Street bridge, which continued very lightly through the next half mile. I stopped momentarily under the Keowee Street bridge to guage the intensity and decide what to do to pass the storm. I decided to push quickly to Brixx, where I could eat something while the storm rolled through. The storm unloosed exactly as I reached the restau and lasted while I had a grilled chicken balsamic salad.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 83 to 85°F at 18:20
Precipitation: none, then a cloudburst
Winds: 5 mph from the southwest
Clothing: Skinsuit; ankle socks. Open-finger gloves.
Bike: Trek 850
Time: 00:46:08 for 12.38 miles
Heart rate: 133 bpm average, 151 bpm maximum
Bikeway users: 9 cyclists, 7 pedestrians
Here is a playback of the ride. 14th Garmin day.

No comments: