Translate

03 June 2011

Bike-commute day 34—to work

As I finished my commute this morning, I thought I had arrived with a personal best time. That achievement countered my experience during the ride, since it was a set of frustrated attempts at raising my heart rate above 150. (Notes to self: Use the hybrid bike or the geared road bike when you want to do heart training and sprints. Also make sure you're well rested the night before the sprints.)

  • My first unsuccessful sprint was about two minutes out from Eastwood Park. I reached 140 bpm quickly with a cadence of 95 rpm, but the slight changes in elevation and turns kept me from reaching more than 146 bpm. 2:10 minutes were over 140. 
  • My second sprint was around the former Multi-Service plant, where I had only 1:47 over 140. 
  • I started the third sprint almost immediately, after I had crossed Airway, but it was only 2:23 for an HRmax of 145. 
  • The fourth sprint, between Burkhardt and Linden, was again 2:23 with an HRmax of 145. 
  • The fifth was a half-hearted 1:08 that only reached 141 HRmax before I slowed for Woodbine Avenue. 
  • The sixth was a short 0:58 at 141 HRmax before I turned to parallel Spaulding Road. 
  • The last sprint attempt was an exact 2:00 with a 144 HRmax that stopped at the Patterson Boulevard traffic signal.
The repeated attempts at reaching an HR of 150 bpm did have a payoff: The overall time for my commute was 2:59 lower than my average time of 0:46:19.

Special Note: World Naked Bike Ride
There must be some of you out there, either intrigued by or participating in the World Naked Bike Ride. The closest local event is in Columbus, Ohio. Here are the specifics.

  • Saturday, June 11, 2011 at 11:30pm (yes, just before midnight)
  • Third Hand Bicycle Cooperative
  • 174 East 5th Ave
  • Columbus Ohio
  • Secure storage for items not worn during the ride
  • Free body paint and costuming
  • Each cyclist makes an individual choice about the amount of nudity they are comfortable with and no one is required to be naked
  • Bring a bicycle, unicycle, long board, scooter, set of rollerblades or anything human powered
  • Dance after-party just down the street.

    "We ride in solidarity with people around the globe to point out the vulnerability of cyclists to automobiles, advocate for less oil-dependent transportation in our cities, and celebrate the human form."

Ride conditions
Temperature: 59 to 63°F at 06:55
Precipitation: none
Winds: calm to 5 mph from the east
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves.
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:43:08 for 11.98 miles
Heart rate: 130 bpm average, 146 bpm maximum
Bikeway users: 10 cyclists, 12 pedestrians, 3 dogs, 2 deer
Here is a playback of the ride.

No comments: