Translate

28 June 2011

Bike-commute day 44—to work

Tuesday, 28 June 2011.

I saw Gary and Amy on their tandem, on the low plateau above the Mad River. This was one of the earliest passings by this year, and an indicator of how late was my start today. I opened up my intensity then, hoping to make up some time.

As I navigated the curve around the DP&L executive golf course, I saw a flash of two convict-orange-clothed walkers ahead in bright sunlight. As I neared, the walkers moved into shade and the bright orange shifted to a tea rose hue. I recognized them as I neared; it was Gladys and Millie. They had crossed Linden and were headed toward Burkhardt, extending their normal range quite a bit. I stopped to say, "From a distance, your orange was brightly lit, and I thought I would be accosted by some escaped convicts. But I think I'm safe with you two." They laughed and bragged about their excursion beyond their usual walk to Linden. As I clipped in to continue the commute, Millie warned me of another cyclist's approach from behind me, and I said, "Oh yeah. I passed him around Burkhardt. He's slow, at least compared to me. See ya."

After the short conversation, I opened up the intensity once again. In the last 2 legs, I closed with short sprints into Research Park, maintaining an HR of more than 150 bpm almost 3 minutes up to Airway, less than a minute between Woodman and Spaulding, and almost 2 minutes up to Research Boulevard.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 68 to 70°F at 07:35
Precipitation: none
Winds: calm to 5 mph from the southwest
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves.
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time:  00:40:46 for 11.99 miles
Heart rate: 133 bpm HRave, 161 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 9 cyclists, 16 pedestrians, 2 dogs
Here is a playback of the ride.

No comments: