Translate

13 June 2011

Bike-commute day 36—to work

Monday, 13 June 2011.

Shortly before I reached Eastwood Park, Jeff Collier alerted me to his overtaking me. We rode together through to his turn east to parallel highway 35. He spoke of his 180-mile ride this past weekend, with a group that rode from southern Dayton to Kentucky. It was mostly flat, he said, and they ended the ride with a few selected hill climbs to make the ride worthwhile.

Hmm. His pace had me puffing a lot, not very able to keep up half of the conversation. My afternoon review of the commute showed me why: my HR was over 143 and ranging up to 155 throughout our ride together, with a short exception for a full stop at Springfield Street for heavier traffic than usual. But that I kept up and maintained a high HR for the duration shows that I've been easy on myself as a lone rider. Time to step up to what I really can do.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 56 to 60°F at 07:55, 63°F at 10:00
Precipitation: none
Winds: calm to 5 mph, variable
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves.
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:42:25 for 12.03 miles
Heart rate: 129 bpm average, 183* bpm maximum
Bikeway users: 1 cyclists, 3 pedestrians
Here is a playback of the ride.
* not reliable, a more likely HRmax was 154.

No comments: