Translate

22 July 2011

Bike-commute day 56—to gym and home

Thursday, 21 July 2011.

Today's slow, conservative ride because of the heat was still hard with headwinds from the north and west. The winds were especially strong along the Mad and Great Miami rivers. To take my mind off the effort, I planned dinner. There's a lot of leafed-out basil in the garden. Better pick it and make pesto. And use that package of scallops tonight. With a nice amount of garlic and olive oil and a couple tablespoons of fresh pesto, you'll have a nice sauce for pasta. I think there's still a half-pound of perciatelle to cook.

So by the time I crossed the river on the Monument Avenue Bridge, it was just a matter of putting it all together. Dinner could cook itself. Almost.

When I arrived home, the house was again too cold to be comfortable. I set my bike up alongside the rowing machine, pulled my flip-flops and gym shorts from the closet, and walked out to the deck to change.

The sun had taken its toll on the potted plants: the petunias, coleus, and lontana were all wilting. So I quickly pulled off my shoes and skinsuit, slipped into the shorts and flip-flops, and doused the flowers with several watering cans of refreshment. Only then could I turn to harvesting the basil for dinner, and I had a full gallon container of top leaves for the pesto.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 93 to 102°F at 19:35
Precipitation: none, humidty 50%
Winds: 5 to 10 mph from the north and west
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves.
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:59:32 for 15.77 miles
Heart rate: 128 bpm HRave, 143 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 9 cyclists, 2 pedestrians
Playback of the ride.

No comments: