Translate

13 July 2011

Bike-commute day 52—to work

Wednesday, 13 July 2011.

I pedaled up to a cyclist on the Creekside Trail south of Airway. As I passed him, I asked, "Are you going to work?"

He responded with a chuckle, and that made me reverse pedal some to slow to his speed.

"I guess that's a 'No,' huh?"

"Yeah. I'm a student. Out for a ride before I go to class."

"Oh. What school do you go to?"

As he answered "Sinclair" and mentioned his plans to transfer in the Fall to Wright State, I had almost formed a piece of advice on the need to wear a helmet. Thought twice about it when I appraised his hairstyle, a medium-length 'Fro, as being well-groomed and probably important to him.

Instead, I pursued another line, "Do you live around here?" I glanced at his handlebars that held some object. It was not the helmet I expected to see hanging from the stem, but a fairly large handlebar pack.

But his response was indirect, I guess. He turned at an off-path into a neighborhood, "See ya around."

Ride conditions
Temperature: 70 to 73°F at 07:45
Precipitation: none
Winds: calm
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves.
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time:  00:41:46 for 11.92 miles
Heart rate: 130 bpm HRave, 147 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 9 cyclists, 1 pedestrian, 1 dog
Here is a playback of the ride.

No comments: