Translate

20 July 2011

Bike-commute day 55—to work

Wednesday, 20 July 2011.

I took a couple days off, using Monday as a rest day and Tuesday's morning thunder shower as another reason not to ride to work. I used the auto commute to fill my gas tank for the month, replenish my stock of canned water and juices, and to bring fresh clothes to my locker. Ready for another stint of bike-commuting.

One of the first things I noticed once I got to the bikeway was the repaved culvert crossing under the Main Street Bridge. Where nearly the full width of path had had a 3-inch-deep hole ever since the Spring floods, the bikeway now has a smooth transition over the sluice from underneath Main Street into the river. The new asphalt is smoothly graded and the tar seams are full without a noticeable hump to them. I hope the workers get a nice review passed to them.

I took a relatively easy pace this morning, not only because of the two rest days but also in deference to the heat index (over 100°F). I plan on braving the heat today and through Friday, for which the heat index is forecast to remain over 100°F.  

Ride conditions
Temperature: 75 to 79°F at 07:00, 84 to 87°F at 10:00
Precipitation: none (Humidity 100%)
Winds: calm to 5 mph from the west-southwest
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves.
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:41:55 for 11.91 miles
Heart rate: 128 bpm HRave, 142 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 2 cyclists, 5 pedestrians, 1 dog
Playback of the ride.

No comments: