Translate

07 July 2011

Bike-commute day 49—to work

Thursday, 7 July 2011.

Gaggles of geese gathered at the water's edge below Riverscape this morning. They must have been spooked still by the fireworks, because they scattered easily with flapping wing swaps as I approached. Perhaps it also helped that I hissed in my exertion to pass quickly to my first checkpoint.

Along the Mad River, I began to recognize my lower energy level, probably due to my late bedtime last night. Even noticing a "rabbit" rider ahead at the Findlay Avenue bridge didn't elicit a chase. When I did catch him, west of Eastwood Park, I asked if he was going to work, and he puffed out an answer, "No; riding to Xenia."

I rode on until I saw Gladys and Millie in shades of pink emerging from the DPL canopy, on their way to Burkhardt Road. Somebody's going to kiss me! I thought when I saw the pink hues. When I stopped to report my thought to them, Gladys smooched an air kiss my way. The Xenia-bound cyclist passed us, and that was my reason to return to the commute. I reached him again still north of where the Iron Horse trail splits from the Creekside, and we spoke a little about our typical riding activities.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 67 to 72°F at 07:15
Precipitation: none
Winds: calm
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves.
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time:  00:42:58 for 11.94 miles
Heart rate: 129 bpm HRave, 146 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 7 cyclists, 9 pedestrians, 2 dogs
Here is a playback of the ride.

No comments: