Translate

02 September 2011

Bike-commute day 79—to work

Friday, 2 September 2011

The commute by bike was going fine up to the bridge just west of Eastwood Park. A group of five runners, each in the same gray tee-shirt and blue shorts, rounded the corner ahead of me. Even as I called out, "Heads up!" they noticed me and jostled to their right. Then more clumps of runners came around the corner, perhaps as many as 50 total, all dressed alike. Some needed another "Heads up!" call, others were more aware of the course. As I reached the gate to the park, a few stragglers made me take the right outside of the way. I signaled my planned course as well as possible with my right arm curving toward full extension. As I slowed to round the corner inside the park, one final runner was also in the nook of the curve, and I said as clearly as possible, "Taking the inside of the corner, may be passing really close."

Was it a training group from the air base? As I picked up speed through the parking lot, I heard music off to the north, across the lagoon. But I didn't see the source of the sound nor any assemblage of people to register the runners.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 71 to 77°F at 07:05
Precipitation: none
Winds: calm to 5 mph from the north
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:41:24 for 11.92 miles
Heart rate: 126 bpm HRave, 147 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 19 cyclists, 11 pedestrians, 3 dogs
Playback of the ride

No comments: