Translate

10 August 2011

Bike-commute day 65—to work

Wednesday, 10 August 2011

In memory I was replaying the C Minor prelude from Bach's WTC volume 1 and using that insistence of sixteenth notes to keep my cadence and heartbeat high. Then, after I left Eastwood Park and cornered to parallel Springfield Street, I saw the Northbound Trainers coming my way, though they were on the pavement of Springfield Street. Ah-hah! A chance to find out the habits behind their weekly ride, if they have the time to stop! As I slowed. I called out, "Would one of you stop?"

They all slowed, or perhaps had slowed already to navigate the turn into Eastwood Park. A couple looked my way as I planted a foot on the bikeway, and one or two actually hesitated, considering what I was up to. But the leader kept going, and they all decided to follow him.

I completed a u-turn before the last one turned onto the park's roadway, and I caught the tail-end of the group under the trestle just inside the park gates. I asked the caboose, "Do you have an email address, so I can ask you about the group?" He replied negatively, and I accelerated to the next group of three. The one man I asked directly was evasive, referred me to the Dayton Cycling Club website for more information and maybe a contact person. Even after a rather quick explanation of my hope to interview him for this blog, he gave only an address for the club rides. I sped to the lead rider, who was more forthcoming. We went back and forth on the details of his email address, and I committed as much as needed to memory. 

By this point, we had reached the concrete embankment over the Mad River, and I turned quickly to resume my commute. As I passed my second checkpoint a third time, I heard the Garmin automatically register yet another lap based on my GPS coordinates.


Ride conditions
Temperature: 62 to 66°F at 02:25
Precipitation: none presently, heavy rain early last night
Winds: calm to 5 mph
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:44:44 for 13.31 miles
Heart rate: 134 bpm HRave, 154 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 11 cyclists, 6 pedestrians, 1 dog
Playback of the ride

No comments: