Translate

30 August 2011

Bike-commute day 76—to work

Tuesday, 30 August 2011

Yestereday's forecast indicated rain storms this evening, but the skies are clear and the air is chill this morning. Only after I had ridden for the block along Princeton did I notice that I hadn't changed the bike profile on the Garmin device, so I stopped before the corner to make the change. Once more on the road, the speed and cadence righted themselves.

My route through Dayton View is also the route for several school buses now. Some of the drivers must be still asleep at 8 a.m., to judge by the strange driving choices they make. Last week, as I was stopped on Superior at Broadway, a bus driver turned left onto Superior, and his arc came to my right since a street crew was chopping down a tree on the left side of the street. This morning, another bus only slowed for the 4-way stop signs at Oxford. I guess that the drivers need only a regular license and a clear background of driving. But it seems the requirements for school bus driving should be more rigorous.

Finally safely removed from traffic once I reached the descent from the Monument Avenue bridge, I had the way to myself until meeting the first cyclist just outside of Eastwood Park. And I met the New Zealand couple just as they connected to the bikeway coming from the west at Woodbine.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 54 to 60°F at 08:00
Precipitation: none
Winds: mostly calm
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:43:49 for 11.95 miles
Heart rate: 124 bpm HRave, 140 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 9 cyclists, 7 pedestrians, 1 dog
Playback of the ride

No comments: