Translate

22 August 2011

Bike-commute day 72—to gym and home

Monday, 22 August 2011

All day I've had this dull ache in the upper back, focused between my spine and right scapular. I couldn't pinpoint any twist or strain that might have caused it, so I attributed it to a lack of rest or sleeping "funny." As I left work today, I considered whether any weight training would make it worse or if very light training would help relieve it. I opted for the latter, but only within a minute of taking the turn on Woodbine.

The workout was brief and gentle: two bench press sets with an empty bar and then carrying 20 pounds; dumbbell flyes with a set of 10 pounds and a second of 12.5 pounds; dumbbell military press at 12.5 and 15 pounds; two cable row sets at light weights; two cable pulldowns at light weights, and two sets of reverse flyes. The back muscles felt a bit better, less tense after the gentle use. Let's see how a good rest helps too.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 79 to 84°F at 18:30
Precipitation: none
Winds: 5 to 10 mph variable from the west
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 01:00:22 for 15.83 miles
Heart rate: 116 bpm HRave, 135 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 31 cyclists, 20 pedestrians, 1 dog
Playback of the ride

No comments: