Translate

17 August 2011

Bike-commute day 69—to home

Wednesday, 17 August 2011

I had hoped to go to the gym on my way home tonight, but I left work too late (leaving my desk at 17:30 and the locker room around 17:45). Perhaps just as well, since Chuck wants me to help him prepare for his trip to the GNI gathering, for which he's leaving tomorrow morning. And to give me time to prepare a nice going-away meal for us. I think there are skinned chicken breasts thawed in the refrigerator and a package of pad thai noodles and sauce in the pantry. I'll garnish it with Italian flat-leaf parsley instead of cilantro, roasted whole peanuts, and the half-lemon still in the fridge.

I took the route that last year was my usual commute, which takes a different route from the river bikeway to my home. At my last checkpoint, I headed up the zig-zag and to the Riverside Drive bridge, then around the Veterans' Memorial Park and down to the bikeway on the right bank of the Great Miami River. I followed the river to cross Wolf Creek and then took the bikeway west from there to the gravel-grass ramp to Broadway Avenue. I took an alley and a block of ---- to reach Broadway and then crossed the Broadway Avenue bridge. I turned left on Riverview, and then right on --- to Superior Avenue. From that point, I joined what has been my typical route this past year up Bryn Mawr and to my home.

The bikeway on the right bank still suffers from inattention. A few patches of sand and gravel, a couple instances of glass debris, and the still-lousy shape of the grass-gravel ramp up to Broadway make this a problematic route for my Lotus and its skinny tires. It will be better to take this route on my Trek hybrid bike, since its tires are more impervious to the stones and litter.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 84 to 91°F at 17:05
Precipitation: none
Winds: 5 to 10 mph from the south, variable
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 00:44:37 for 12.90 miles
Heart rate: 128 bpm HRave, 145 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 16 cyclists, 12 pedestrians, 4 dogs
Playback of the ride

No comments: