Translate

19 August 2011

Bike-commute day 71—to home

Friday, 19 August 2011

I decided to buy a lottery ticket at the Shell station that's adjacent to the bikeway on Woodman, and as I left the convenience store, I decided that I would add a few miles to my commute instead of going to the gym. So at the trestle checkpoint, I turned east toward Beavercreek. Was it Matt who described with such pride and astonishment the tribute installation of rusting girders from the World Trade Center? That will be my turnaround point,  maybe five miles out.

The slight but continuous climb to the gazebo at I-675 is matched by a gradual but continuous descent to the Beavercreek Station. What exertion I made on the first half was matched by exhiliarting ease on the second. Similarly, after the turnaround and quick appreciation of the massive verticals of the deep red beams rising above the bikeway, the way back had its canonic structure and a finish with easy speed.

The finish, back on my typical commute route, was strong also.

Ride conditions
Temperature: 84 to 90°F at 17:55
Precipitation: none
Winds: 5 to 10 mph, variable from the west
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Lotus Legend fixed gear
Time: 01:12:55 for 20.55 miles
Heart rate: 124 bpm HRave, 138 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 35 cyclists, 24 pedestrians, 2 dogs
Playback of the ride

No comments: