Translate

29 August 2011

Bike-commute day 76—to home

Monday, 29 August 2011

My first ride of the day was the evening commute home, since I had driven my bike to work this morning. After lunch I took the car to a dental appointment with Dr. Mark Buchwalder in Xenia. He talked about taking part in the Hotter 'n Hell Hundred around Wichita Falls TX. He had just returned Sunday from the event that he and his wife had taken in. My hygenist Marilyn also spoke glowingly of the bike rides she's had recently and the trips she splans through the end of the year, including a trip to the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce, and Canyonlands Park.

Just west of Eastwood Park, one rider of a couple cyclists said, "Oh so you're here!" and before it registered, we had passed each other. I recognized the voice and face of Ellen, a frequent client at Cardinal Fitness. So I turned around and caught up to them before they reached the concrete embankment. Ellen introduced me to her boyfriend Glenn, and when she said she had just bought the bike for him as a birthday present, I began singing The Birthday Song but stopped before I had to pay royalties. Ellen excused her relatively lower frequency at the gym by way of their cycling together from home in the Oregon district, and I mentioned that this was my twice-daily route to work..

Ride conditions
Temperature: 76 to 80°F at 18:00
Precipitation: none
Winds: calm to 10 mph from the northand east
Clothing: Skinsuit, ankle socks, open-finger gloves
Bike: Trek 750 hybrid
Time: 00:46:55 for 12.95 miles
Heart rate: 123 bpm HRave, 139 bpm HRmax
Bikeway users: 19 cyclists, 18 pedestrians, 3 baby wagons
Playback of the ride

No comments: